Larger size Dennison screw back and front silver case with fixed lugs, hallmarked Birmingham 1918, the case back with presentation engraving dated 1921, probably when gifted by its original owner. Typical Errington/Williamson three-quarter plate, stem wound and set 7-jewel movement with exposed winding wheels. Straight-line lever escapement with club-tooth escape. Compensation balance, balance-spring with overcoil. Signed black enamel dial in fine un-cracked condition, with skeleton numerals and matching hands, both retaining much of the original radium. 35.5 mm diameter.
The Errington Watch Co, set up by Charles Hutton Errington in Coventry in the 1880’s, acquired by Henry Williamson in 1895, in which Errington remained the manager until he retired in 1910. The firm was one of the first in the UK to recognise the important new market for wristwatches.
Wristwatches with wire lugs began to appear in the last decade of the 19th century but examples are uncommon prior to the marked increase in production created by military use in the 1st World War. NB: The original straps will have been sewn on but very few are known to have survived as leather will wear out. Most will now have ‘open-ended’ straps like this, with metal clasps, that date from after the 2nd World War.
In good used condition showing wear to the original button and general signs of use, but a rare example of an English rather than a Swiss made watch from the end of the 1st World War. Of typical military design, with black dials and luminous filled numerals and hands, these are now often called ‘trench watches.’ Serviced and guaranteed and with a hardly worn strap.